Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Next New Thing

After the price increase for the MTA, I have seen that they have tried to make improvements for the customers. From train statuses on your phone, to how long before the next train or bus comes. I think the next "new media" would have something to do with public transportation and the users as a community. I always had an idea that every user has a RFID tag of some sort embedded in their metrocards and they can set where they get off, get on, etc. So the people standing waiting for seats will know when the people sitting will leave. Of course this may be a security concern so one can opt out of it. It is similar to the location services like foursquare so I do not see that big of a problem with it. You can get different "achievements" as well as you get off and on at different stations. It would bring a interactive experience to the train and bus ride.

3 comments:

  1. thats very interesting but I like to hear a more in depth discussion about it to see how it would work I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the MTA would probably be able to use it to offer a more rider-specific pricing structure. Geo-targeting is seen by many in the media as a gross violation of privacy, but I agree with you in that it could be used to improve admittedly out of control public institutions like the MTA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of this! This is a great idea, and I think going further there should be a place where commuters can issue complaints/suggestions about timing and/or a bus/train never showing up via a social network instead of having to use their phones to get in touch with an outdated automated service.

    ReplyDelete