Monday, April 4, 2011

About My Term Research Paper

The topic that I chose to do for my term research paper is Social Networking: A purposeful loss of privacy. Most of the research I did was through Google Scholars, I also used some news articles via MSNBC and other sources I got from regular Google. In the research, I learned that the issue of privacy is not only other people looking through your content but it also contains the problems of viruses and worms as well. Almost like the email problem where you can download a viruses without even knowing it by just opening a mail. I chose this topic because I thought privacy is a very important issue that everyone should know about. Especially now that almost everybody has a profile in at least one of the social networking websites such as Facebook, we need to be aware of the issues at hand. After writing the paper, it seems that there are many different ways in which the privacy issue can affect all of us. From losing your job or even scholarships to losing your data on your computer, it should be part of our everyday life to be aware of these problems. My paper helps contribute to the field of "new media" by bringing awareness to people and how "safe" or "private" their profile actually is.

3 comments:

  1. With constant advances in technology and the internet, I believe people are losing a lot of the privacy and personal space. Sometimes people are not even aware of what others can access on them and I believe these issues need to be addressed in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's either social networking or privacy, I honestly don't think you can have the ladder of the 2, unless maybe through tumblr which doesn't ask for anything but an email. Therefore, unless you know someones username you have no way of finding them, but tumblr is not pure social networking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ tumblr can kind of be like a pyramid thing. if your friend reblogs something you posted, their friends reblog and then THEIR friends reblog and so on. you will always be listed under the original source so technically you CAN be found.

    ReplyDelete