Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Creativity and New Media

Back when I was in high school, online gaming was what I did everyday. Probably not the best idea, but once I get home from school, on turns my computer, on turns the game, and I play until I really need to do something else, like homework. One of the main games that we used to play was Counter-Strike. This game, very popular, was a first person shooter. A couple of my friends and I created a "clan" and played in online leagues. We met some cool people online while some not too cool, just hiding behind their computer screens and smack talking. However, it did give us a sense of community among gamers around the world.

I did make a video of some gameplay of Counter-Strike, however I did not get to finish the video as, well, we were actually not that good, and the clan disbanded soon after the video was attempted. But here is a "semi-finished" video of it. There is NO CONTENT after 1:10, unless you just want to listen to the song.

Another game that took over a big chunk of my high school career was the MMORPG Ragnarok. This game basically lets you create your own character. There are two levels that you need to level up, base level and job level. You start off as a Novice, once you reach a job level of 10, you are then allowed to chose your first "class". These classes range from a acolyte, thief, swordsman, archer, and much more. Depending on the server you play on, there can be a job changer NPC(Non playable character) that you can just talk to and you will be able to change your class or job instantly. Or in some servers, you have to do several quests in order to obtain that job change.


Every single "person" you see in this screenshot is actually controlled by a real person over the internet. It does get pretty crowded depending on the server you play on. I did however make a couple of friends in this game and we are still Facebook friends until this day. 

I also made for fun a stop motion video with two of my Gundam action figures. I took around 150 separate shots, each moving the figure a little. This was created using Windows Movie Maker.
 

I think the way games bring together the world is a pretty cool concept. There is a lot of negative opinions over these online games, like people getting so addicted to it that it is literally their life. But if you know how to balance real life and virtual life, I think there are many positive results that can be created. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that games help bring people together although it can be very addicting. You can meet new people and have fun while playing these games.

    ReplyDelete